Subscribe to RSS feed

«

»

Nov
20

Thankful Puma Pride

Greetings all,

What an amazing couple of days for the College in terms of events recognizing exemplary accomplishments by faculty, students, and alumni.

This incredible run of recognition activities began on Wednesday, at Celebrate Paradise, our annual community awards and recognition event. Among the honorees were Dr. Chris Scinto as one of the Donors of the Year (for leading the efforts to raise over $28,000 for fine and performing arts scholarships) and our alumni of the year Drs. Owen Anderson and Robert Soza – now both college faculty members at Arizona State University and Mesa Community College respectively.

The following day at the Press Club in Washington DC, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) awarded our own Dr. Lois Roma-Deeley as the Community College 2012 Professor of the Year. Lois gave an amazing acceptance speech that made all faculty at all of the1,200 community colleges proud!

And finally on Saturday in Melbourne, Florida, the Puma women’s soccer team defeated with confidence Brevard Community College (Fla.) 3- 0 for the NJCAA Division I Women’s Soccer national title game, its second national title in three years.

So in part my note of Thanksgiving this year recognizes the excellence that abounds at PVCC. It was with great Puma pride that I presented the Celebrate Paradise award winners. It was with even greater Puma pride that I witnessed Lois on a national stage receiving a national award. And while, I could only share in the women’s National Championship via a web cast, I shouted with Puma pride after each of the three goals!

Please take some time this holiday season to reflect on and offer thanks for the opportunity to be a part of the positive difference that PVCC is making in the world through our teaching, learning, and student success programs.

Paul