Welcome to the start of summer and the beginning work to prepare for an outstanding upcoming 2018-2019 academic year. With the official end of our 30th Anniversary celebratory year, 2018-2019 marks the first year of new excellence as we begin the next 30 years of excelling as a learning-centered college.
During our end-of-year all-employee gathering, I shared a number of projects that we will engage in during this “summer of building for the future.” These projects are noted below.
Shaping our Spaces
- Renovation of 10,000 sq ft of Q for the new Integrated Health Services Center
- Enhancement of student spaces in the E Building and further visioning for an integrated learning center
- Improvement of the outdoor learning spaces in the G,H, K Courtyard
Building our Team
- New faculty hires: Nursing, Biology, English, General Business, CIS, Engineering/Physics
- Re-establishing our marketing unit
- Filling the vacant Director of Development position
Building and Strengthening Programs
- Continued work on Guided Pathways and alignment with Puma Pathways
- Further work on Critical Thinking Academy
- Re-introducing the pre-engineering program
- Enhancing our Student Success Initiative targeting new students
- Addressing critical educational attainment equity gaps
Additionally, during our all-employee meeting, I recognized several faculty and staff as recipients of the Puma Pin award
- Terri Siemer – for her outstanding leadership of the custodial team
- Jon Storslee – for his service as Faculty Senate President 2016-2018
- Carolyn Miller – for her service as classified staff representative 2016-2018
- Ellen Hedlund – for her leadership of the college’s 30th Anniversary celebrations
- John Douglass – for his long-term leadership of the Honors program and work with undergraduate research
While the summer of 2018 will be focused and productive on the work at hand, I ask that all of us find time this summer to maintain life balance and carve out time to relax, refresh and re-energize.