Reflections While “On the Move”

One of the joys experienced as I am “On the Move” across campus is to hear, first-hand what faculty and staff are doing to bring learning alive at PVCC. Below is a recent (albeit not complete) summary of our very good work demonstrating the interconnectedness to learning-centeredness.

In the M Building breezeway, I ran into Dr. Tom Schmidt, Chair of Behavioral Sciences who is leading our efforts to expand Psi Beta, the Psychology honorary…passing through M Bldg. Andrea Robertson, theater faculty, shared with me her community outreach through a stage fighting workshop at the Great Hearts Academy… cutting through the E Bldg., I connected with Randy Babick, interim manager of the Computer Commons, who showed off a number of facility improvements… while stopping by Facilities and Planning, Terry Siemer, lead custodian shared the new techniques her team is using to keep our floors in amazing condition…outside his office in the J Building, Dr. Satindar Baines, Chemistry faculty, continued to articulate his ideas around the possibilities of hybrid learning augmenting online lecture learning with face-to-face labs…rounding out the west side of campus, I caught up on what’s new in the Business/IT division in a spirited hallway meeting with Dr. Kishore Dash, Dr. Dina Preston-Ortiz, Sean Petty, Stacy Smith, James Loop, Michelle Carter, and Dr. Raji Lauffer, all business faculty…later in the day while at the Black Mountain campus, I connected with Kim Dean, Math faculty and Darra Browning, Biology faculty preparing for their classes and Dr. Scott Massey, Physical Sciences Division Chair, doing “hallway” office hours tutoring chemistry students…additionally Shannon Anzelmo and the Black Mountain staff were busy preparing for STEAMTastic…on my way out I visited with Lori Anonsen, Nutrition faculty member, who updated me on the innovative programming soon to be happening in our new teaching/learning kitchen…last Saturday, I saw Christie Colunga and Ana Stigsson, early childhood faculty members, in action leading a workshop featuring internationally-known experts…then I stopped in on Dr. Carolyn Miller, CTL Director’s session on online learning – in attendance was Kaitlin Southerly, English faculty member…on my way out of Q Bdlg., I stopped by the baseball dugout and got a preview of the 2019 Puma baseball team from head coach, Victor Solis – the squad looks promising.

These conversation summaries represent just a sampling of the faculty and staff committed to bringing learning alive. Perhaps equally as important, it is a lot of fun just to “catch up.” I encourage you to “be on the move” and connect with your colleagues.